About Me

Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Hot Pumpkin Custard, THM S

I was looking for pumpkin recipes and found this custard. It's so good hot with a bit of butter and cinnamon!   This is a THM S.  Here is a link to the original recipe. 


As usual, I didn't have everything that was called for in the recipe so I left out some things and added a few according to my cooking style: if you don't have it, improvise! :)  Here is how I made mine. 

  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2.c.  Water
  • ⅓ c.  Plain canned pumpkin puree
  • 2 tsp. butter
  • 1tsp. Cinnamon 
  • 1/4 t. Nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp. Cloves
  • 1/2 tsp.  Vanilla 
  • ¼ t. glucomannan
  • Gentle sweet to taste. I used around 2 Tbsp.

  • Topping:  Butter, and a sprinkle of cinnamon to taste.

  • Whisk the eggs in a pan. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir again.   Add the glucomannan while whisking so it doesn't clump up.  When the custard starts to bubble, pull the custard off the stove, reduce heat and put the pan back on the burner and keep whisking until the custard thickens. Whisk the entire time or it might curdle. I've had it curdle a few times, cooking it low and slow seems to be the best way to prevent this. 

  • Top the custard with a teaspoon of butter and a sprinkling of cinnamon.  Enjoy! I ate mine when it was warm, so yummy! 

2 comments:

Sister in the Mid-west said...

This sounds very good! I like making a pumpkin pudding similar to this for breakfast in the fall. I don't have a recipe so every batch is a little different. :) I think I will give your recipe a try. I don't have glucomannan. Do you think that I could use some cornstarch as a thickener instead? I had another question, Is Gentle sweet a stevia-like product? I have never heard of it before. Thanks for the recipe!

A Heart of Praise said...

I'm sure you could use cornstarch to thicken the pudding. :) I just alway use glucomannan while on the diet because it doesn't have the carbs like cornstarch.

Yes Gentle Sweet is a non sugar substitute sold by Trim Healthy Mama. It can be expensive so I make my own. Here is the recipe I use:

2 cup xylitol
2 cup erythritol
1 3/4 tsp THM pure stevia powder

Mix together and store in an airtight container.

This is my favourite diet sweetener. I use it when I'm baking and even in my coffee. While it doesn't have the exact taste of regular sugar, it the closest I've found. :)