About Me

Thursday, September 14, 2017

A September Daybook

Out my window.....


High up on the treetops the branches are waving gently in the wind.  Among the dark green leaves of summer there are tinges of yellow, signalling the soon to come change of seasons.  I have mixed feelings about Autumn, it used to be my favourite time of year. How could anyone not love pumpkin treats, bonfires with toasted marshmallows, cozy sweaters, and beautiful foliage, right?   I used to think so, but after experiencing seven Saskatchewan winters (that last forever), now fall is a reminder of what is coming. I still enjoy it, :) but now my favourite time of year is the first truly warm day of spring when the children and I can go outside with bare feet and no jacket! :) 


Around the house...


Crumbs and dust and dirt abound. :b   Since starting homeschool, housework has become a wee bit neglected.  Right now the baby is sleeping good and since we are finished with schoolwork I have time to clean, so that's good. :)


What's been happening lately...


Harvest on the farm is in full swing.  God has blessed with good weather thus far, for which we are thankful!  Looking forward to when the crop is off!  In other news I started the Trim Healthy Mama plan again last week.  So far it's going well.  Pinterest has been handy for finding new recipes.  This time I've tried incorporating more E meals, mostly for breakfast.  The first three days I only ate S meals and I could feel my energy drop, but once I started the E meals it seems to have balanced out again. One E recipe I tried was for overnight pumpkin spice oatmeal, it tasted good and was handy because I was able to make it the night before (when the baby was sleeping) and grab it out of the fridge in the morning to eat (when the baby is usually up and crying).  


What I am reading....


I haven't done much reading lately, there are several books on my list, but for now I usually only have time for the Bible.  I'm trying to read through it again this year, I only wish I'd set up the reading plan a bit different.  I prefer to read both Old and New Testament everyday, but my plan is set for reading straight though.  I use the app called "A Lamp Unto" it works great and helps keep me on track. :) 


In the kitchen....


I have leftover chicken in the refrigerator from the two birds I cooked the other day.  My plan is to make either a THM casserole, or soup with it.  I took the time to boil the bones from the chickens this time, combined with the reduced cooking liquid, it made a flavourful broth that will make a great soup.  Right now, it's starting to smell good in here from the two pans of muffins baking in the oven. They part of the children's supper, while I'm reducing carbs they still need them.  :) I must say though, the thought of fresh muffins sounds mighty appealing!  Despite all the claims from some die hard THM people, coconut flour mixed with almond meal does not make "just like the real thing" muffins or biscuits or bread, or cake....Ok, it's not that bad, just going through carb withdrawal here. Haha! :) Being serious again, I have found a few recipes containing the above mentioned ingredients which have tasted good. Hopefully I can post about them soon. 


What I'm thinking....


That I need to go downstairs and make a THM FP shake and then read some books to the four children who aren't napping. :)  Though I don't have much time for my books, I try to read short storybooks to the children as often as I can.  I want to instil a love of reading in them, just as I loved reading growing up!  My Mom and Dad always had good books for my siblings and I to read, and going to the library and finding new books was a highlight in my life back then. :) 


What I'm excited about...


All the things my brother fixed and made when he was here a few weeks ago!  He's an amazing handy man! :)   My sister came too and was a wonderful help to me!  I had such a nice time when they were here and the visit went far to fast! 


A favourite quote for today... 


"A Humble Christian studies his own infirmities and another's excellencies."  


A picture to share...



L
ove old barns! This one is part of an old an abandoned farm yard I'm guessing from the early 1900s. When my brother and sister were here we drove out and went exploring in the old house, and out buildings. We had fun, though we did get slightly worried when we noticed what appeared to be bear droppings in the yard and tall grass, thankfully we didn't encounter the actual bear! 


A Verse for today...


"Thus saith the LORD, Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, neither let the mighty man glory in his might, let not the rich man glory in his riches: But let him that glorieth glory in this, that he understandeth and knoweth me, that I am the LORD which exercise lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness, in the earth: for in these things I delight, saith the LORD. "


~Jeremiah 9:23-24

4 comments:

Sister in the Mid-west said...

It was a treat to have a glimpse into your day! :)
I understand your feelings about fall. I have much the same sentiment, winter is coming. :(
I have not tried cooking with nut flours since going without wheat. I found some Milo and millet flours for a good deal at a garage sale! They were still sealed in their package and well within their expiration date. I am looking forward to trying them.
I have given up watching and listening to things from YouTube for the last 2 weeks and have been doing a lot of book reading instead. I have really enjoyed learning new things and been surprised at how many books I have been able to read! I read two books about the Wright brothers, a book about Charles Steinmetz an early electrical scientist, and a book on the yellow fever epidemic of 1793 in Philadelphia. All facinating stuff (to me). Besides those books, my son (2 years) loves me to read picture books to him. We go to the library and bring home upwards of a dozen books every time.

A Heart of Praise said...

Thanks for commenting Sister in the Mid-west! That's great you were able to find those flours for a good price at a garage sale! I've never tried baking with the kinds you got. So far, I've tried almond (my favourite), coconut and peanut flours.

That's a good idea to try giving up watching things in order to have more time to read! The books you've been able to read sound interesting. :). One of the reasons I find it hard to read is because I'm constantly interrupted by the children needing one thing or another. I'm sure going to the library is fun for Boy in the Mid-west! Luke, is two also, and I know he loves it when I read to him. :)

Mrs. Lopez said...

Send your winter south to me! I get so excited for the first day of fall because WINTER IS COMING!

Did you guys have a drought this summer? I'm not sure if you guys have the same weather patterns as us or not?

A Heart of Praise said...

I'd gladly send winter your way if I could! :) Yes, it was pretty dry this whole summer. Thankfully, we got just enough rain that most of the crops did ok though.