Monday, May 20, 2013


The children and I found this big garter snake a few days ago.  When I was a little girl I used to catch these snakes whenever I saw them. I thought they were the neatest things.  I can only remember being bitten once, the snake would not let go of my hand, and by the time it did, I had quite a bite.  Until yesterday, I had know idea that garter snakes were venomous. Thankfully, their venom is mild and they only produce small amounts, they also can't deliver it effectively enough to do any damage. So these snakes are welcome around my house (as long as they stay outside!), they might even help keep the rodent population down which would be great! 


Amy said...

That's a neat picture! Remember when Tim caught a handful of them? :) I can see Willy doing the same thing! :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, I didn't know they had such big snakes in Saskatchewan!! And we live here :)