About Me

Friday, April 15, 2011

Flour Tortillas

I wanted to try making tortillas for awhile and finally did it a few nights ago. It was simple and they turned out good:). I did find that they should be rolled quite thin before cooking otherwise they tended to be a touch "doughy".


Flour Tortillas

3 ½ cups flour
1 tsp salt
½ tsp baking powder
½ shortening
1 cup hot water

Mix together the flour, salt and baking powder. Cut in the shortening.

Slowly add the hot water until you get a dough like consistency.

Knead dough for three minutes.


Cover and let rest for 15 minutes.

Take a piece of dough (how much depends on how big you want your tortilla) and roll into a circle.

Place in a hot pan and flip when you see small air pockets form. Keep a eye on it as it can burn quite fast. Flip one more time when it starts to puff up. Enjoy with your favorite fillings:).

7 comments:

Ruth Ann said...

yummy! you are making me hungry. these don't seem hard to make at all. I might try them one day! :)

hope you are doing well! sorry I've been out of touch - life is VERY busy. Hopefully I can email you soon! :)

Lindsey said...

I'm going to try this recipe the next time I need tortillas.

Did you roll them all out at once or did you just roll one out and cook it right away? I tried making tortillas a long time ago and had to layer them with wax paper so they wouldn't dry out.

A Heart of Praise said...

Hi Lindsey,
I actually just rolled one and cooked it right away rather then rolling them all out before cooking.

I might have tried rolling more out at once, but sometimes you have to juggle things with a little baby who thinks she needs held all the time:).

Miss Linda said...

Mmmmmm, fresh, warm, hand-made tortillas. Is there anything better?

Southern Sunrise said...

It looks like they turned out really good! They probably taste a lot better than store-bought tortillas as well. :) I'll have to give this a try sometime!

Grace said...

Thanks for posting this recipe:-) I've actually thought about trying to make tortillas several times before, but didn't know how they would turn out. I'll have to give your recipe a try.

Thanks for the e-mail, I'll try to e-mail you real soon...I'm glad you like the newsletter:-) and am excited that you want to do it with me Love and miss you! Grace

LeAnna said...

Oh, I love fresh tortillas. I usually make corn ones, but have wanted to attempt flour! I have a tortilla press, but it still doesn't get them quite as thin as I'd like!