About Me

Monday, December 17, 2012

Bird Watch: Pine Grosbreak

I looked out the window this morning and saw two birds that I couldn't identify. They were a little distance from the kitchen window so I went and got the binoculars and was able to get good look at them.  After searching through my trusty bird book,  I found out they were Pine Grosbeaks.  A large finch (from 7.9 to 10 inches they are one of the largest finches), the male is a beautiful red color with black and gray markings, the female is duller, but still very pretty.  I was excited to see these birds for the first time! I found out they are one of the rarest of the "winter finches'.  I love it when I get to see a bird I've never seen before! :)
 
Male Pine Grosbeak  Photo Credit
 
Found it! I love the big bird book Graham's aunt gave me!
 
"And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven."  Genesis 1:20

1 comment:

Amy said...

Hope you can get a bunch to come to your yard with the sunflower seeds!