About Me

Saturday, December 27, 2008

A few Household Hints and tips


~Place a apple in the potato bag to help keep the potatoes from budding.

~A easy mess free way to mix meat loaf, use a potato masher.

~If your brown sugar is hardened, put in a slice of bread it will soften it back up.

~To prevent red tomato stains in plastic mixing bowls first spray the bowl with nonstick cooking spray.

~You can substitute half applesauce for the vegetable oil in your baking recipes.

~Accidentally over-salt a dish? Drop a peeled potato into it while it is still cooking, it will help absorb excess salt.


~To get yeast dough to rise faster turn the oven on just long enough to warm it up, then place the bowl of rising dough in the oven.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great tips!

Thank you for stopping by my blog. Princess in Calico is one of my very favorite books.

Blessings...

Lydia said...

I like your new header! I usually keep my apples with the potatoes, but I found out the hard way that you shouldn't have onions near apples as it makes them sprout. It is kind of funny how that works.

Sarah said...

Thank you for sharing these useful tips, Emily! :)

Arlene said...

I always put my dough in the oven to rise; it definitely makes a difference :o)

Great tips!

A Heart of Praise said...

Thank you Lydia. :) I'm actually in the process of making a new design, I like this one, but I think I like the new one that I am working on even better. :) I enjoy trying out new designs. I just wish I knew more about HTML codes.. [smile]

That is certainly interesting about apples causing onions to sprout! I will keep that in mind!

Heart 4 My Home said...

Happy New Year to you as well! May it be filled with HIS presence and blessings.

I love your tips, many of them I already use. So I can testify that they work. This is a great share!

In regards to the dough rising faster, in the winter when our fireplace is going I set my dough on the hearth and cover it as usual with a towel. The heat from the fireplace really helps it rise and it doesn't cost anything (no turning on the oven and using gas or electricity - depending on your oven use.)

~blessings

A Heart of Praise said...

We also have a fireplace that we use in Winter but I really never thought to use the heat to help my dough to rise. It sounds like a great idea! Thanks for sharing that with me! :)